- ECCS Workshop on Surface Protection The exciting potential of the technology developed by the consortium was discussed at the ECCS Workshop on Surface Protection (of steel). The picture shows delegates with our BARRIERplus poster. The workshop was in April 2017, in Brussels. Representatives of 12 manufacturers and institutes were present. At the meeting it was agreed to form a working group to follow up this work.
- DDR Expo Brussels The Barrier Plus Project was represented at the Demolition, Decontamination and Recycling Expo held in Brussels from 14 to 16th June 2017. The potential of the project for reducing environmental impact, was a strong attraction for potential partners from the Oil and Gas sector, whose offshore platforms will need refurbishment with minimal environmental impact. Mrs V. DEHAN from the European Convention for Constructional Steelwork explained the potential of this new protection systems, especially in harsh environments.
The above movie illustrates and puts into context, some of the work of the consortium.
- Dynamic stratification in drying films of colloidal mixtures, Physical Review Letters 116, 118301 (2016), A. Fortini, I. Martin-Fabiani, J. L. De La Haye, P.-Y. Dugas, M. Lansalot, F. D’Agosto, E. Bourgeat-Lami, J.L. Keddie, and R.P. Sear. [arXiv]
- pH-Switchable Stratification of Colloidal Coatings: Surfaces “On Demand”, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 8, 34755 (2016), I. Martin-Fabiani A. Fortini, J. L. De La Haye, M.L. Koh, S.E. Taylor, E. Bourgeat-Lami, M. Lansalot, F. D’Agosto, R.P. Sear and J.L. Keddie. [this link should allow you to download a reprint even if you do not subscribe]
- Stratification and Size Segregation of Ternary and Polydisperse Colloidal Suspensions during Drying Langmuir 33, 4796, (2017), A. Fortini and R.P. Sear.
These publications of the consortium study an effect discovered by the consortium: spontaneous stratification in drying coatings. The video above illustrates this discovery. It was submitted to the Exciting and Simple Experiments section of the International Polymer Colloids Group (IPCG) held in Arantzazu, 205th to 30th Spain June 2017 Conference.